Delivering Cordalga – Eden to Narooma

September 28, 2019 Peter No comments exist

“I’ll make it work”. This was the message from Glenn once he received the new alternator which, as promised, arrived promptly on Friday morning. And so between disappearing into the belly of Cordalga and running to and from the local chandler, Glenn set about making it work.

The rest of the crew were treated to the arrival of the MS Maasdam as she docked in Eden for the day. Maasdam is a Holland America cruise ship named after the Maas River in the Netherlands. She is, unfortunately, perhaps best known for the death of a 70 year lady who fell between the tender platform and one of the tenders off Rarotonga on 7 November 2018.  She is certainly impressive at 220m and is capable 22 knots (41 km/h). She has a crew of 580 and can take 1 258 passengers although we heard that there were less than 300 on board when she docked.

While the crew were enjoying the scenery, Glenn was hard at work and fairly soon the engine roared to life and by 10H45 we were on our way again. The initial plan was to go straight to Sydney which would take about 35 hours but this changed for two reasons. Glenn was a little concerned about running the motor for such a long period, especially overnight. If there was a breakdown we would be out at sea at night making repairs very difficult. Secondly, there was a front moving in which was going to bring strong winds and choppy seas. It was decided that we would stop at Narooma for the evening. We would arrive in Narooma at about 19H30 and would have to cross a bar to get to the public wharf where we could tie up for the night. The Narooma bar is not overly difficult or hazardous but Glenn would be faced with two challenges which would make it an interesting crossing. 

We would be crossing the bar at night which always increases the risk but the approach and the channel are usually well marked so this in itself would not pose a problem. The biggest problem for Glenn would be visibility. Cordalga has a very high bow which makes it impossible to see what is dead ahead. This is exacerbated by the cover over the fo’c’sle. Glenn would be virtually blind to what was dead ahead, not an ideal situation when crossing a bar at night.


With Glenn at the helm and Geoff outside being his eyes and giving him directions we crossed the bar and moved through the channel. It was a very happy crew once we had tied up at the public wharf. To make things a little more interesting Geoff happened to fall into one of the openings into the engine area in the dark. The cover had been left off as there is a small exhaust leak and Glenn left the cover off to get rid of the exhaust fumes. In all the business of tying up, Geoff did not see the open hole and stepped into it. Fortunately he wasn’t hurt but the crew were in need of an alcoholic beverage or two after we had tied up.  We had covered 58 miles in 9 hours.

With the change in weather we will spend Saturday in Narooma and set off for Sydney on Sunday morning. Narooma is a tourist destination with tours to Montague Island being a major attraction. We had thought of anchoring off Montague Island for the night but they would not allow us onto the island as this is by permit only.

Glenn has decided that, rather than spend the day lazing around in the sun like the rest of the crew, he will attend to some maintenance. There is a vibration of some kind on the boat and one of the possibilities is the propeller shaft. There are only two ways to check the shaft: either slip the boat, or get in the water. Glenn chose the latter. Fortunately all is well with the shaft and propeller but the cause of the vibration is still a mystery.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *