In addition to the vibration causing Glenn to have a very cold swim in Narooma, while doing a routine check, the engine suddenly overheated. Finding the problem proved elusive, resulting in Glenn having to disassemble and reassemble the entire cooling system. There was no apparent cause for the overheating but the problem disappeared.
The initial plan was to head for Sydney on Sunday morning and drop Glenn off in Sydney in the evening so that he could get a flight back to Airlie Beach. The weather turned a little nasty and made things a little uncomfortable on Cordalga. Rather than have a long uncomfortable trip, it was decided that we would head for Ulladulla. We arrived early in the evening and tied up to a wharf with Glenn deciding that he had had enough of Geoff’s cooking and heading off to ALDI to get some meat and fresh vegetable to cook dinner. We had travelled a distance of 57 miles in 8 hours.
No sooner had he left than the fishing boat whose spot we were in arrived and threw us out – we could tie up next to them. It was a baptism of fire for Geoff, the space within which to manoeuvre was very limited but, to his credit, Geoff nailed it like the professional that he is.
It was an early start on Monday – up at 03H30 for a 04H00 departure. It would be a long haul to Sydney with an estimated arrival time of somewhere between 20H00 and 21H00. The weather again had other plans. The wind and swell again picked up making things uncomfortable and it was decided that we would head for Huskisson in Jervis Bay. Glenn decided that he would leave us at Huskisson and make his way to Sydney to get a flight to Airlie Beach.
And so it was time to say farewell to Glenn. There is no wharf in Huskisson and we tied up to a mooring ball and launched the tender to get Glenn ashore.
With Glenn safely ashore, we decided that we would head to Wollongong and overnight there. We got as far as the entrance to Jervis Bay and it was clear the conditions out at sea had worsened and Geoff decided that we would head back to Huskisson, pick up the mooring ball and spend the night in Huskisson. We had covered 43 miles in 6 and a half hours.
It was another early start on Tuesday – up at 03H00 for a 03H30 departure. The weather forecast was good and we were going to try and make Nelson Bay in Port Stephens. It would be an overnight passage taking about 30 hours if all went well. With only two of us on board, we would have 4 hourly shifts and it would be important to get as much sleep as possible between shifts. The journey on Tuesday during the day was fairly uneventful with us making about 7 knots for most of the day.
During the early evening the wind and swell changed and we got knocked around for most of the night. Our speed decreased from 7 to 5 knots and, even with Cordalga’s high bow, we still had waves crashing over the bow and flooding the deck. To make matters even more interesting the bilge pump light stayed on which either meant that we were being flooded or the bilge pump was faulty. In between us being knocked around, Geoff descended into the engine bay to find out what the problem was. We fortunately weren’t being flooded and put it down to a fault on the bilge pump which we subsequently discovered was the cause.
It was a fairly tired crew once we arrived at D’Albora Marinas in Nelson Bay but before we could have much needed showers we would have to fill up with fuel. We put 1 153 litres of fuel in the two tanks. The trip from Huskisson in Jervis Bay to Nelson Bay in Port Stephens had taken 28 hours and we had covered 192 miles.
In numbers, the trip so far looks like this:
Days since departure : 8
Distance travelled : 495 miles
Hours at sea : 71 hours
Overnight passages : 2